General Chat Thread

30 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Same as the big box, isn't it?

Exactly !

I can't remember for 3rd but I'm pretty sure that Dominion novel came out the same day as the Dominion box. Classic release day for launch edition i guess.

2 hours ago, woolf said:

I think OBR would make sense as starter since 1) pretty easy to paint, just contrast skeleton horde + some metals and 2) its kinda the main death faction as Nahash response to SCE so would seem easy to build around in the lore

I mean FeC are also pretty easy to paint (arguably easier then OBR) and they fit the prototypical archetype of a hordish enemy starter set army to contrast SCE elite army.

8 minutes ago, novakai said:

I mean FeC are also pretty easy to paint (arguably easier then OBR) and they fit the prototypical archetype of a hordish enemy starter set army to contrast SCE elite army.

I was about to mention that hordish point earlier, but then I recalled about BoK.

2 hours ago, Acrozatarim said:

I kinda wish Ossiarchs had more Geiger-esque faces, really taking the biomechanical look to the max with the shaped bone.

while that would also be extremely cool, I like how their heads are facsimiles of real smiles and faces that are twisted into an Uncanny horror

15 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

It's a gripping tale of resistance against the odds as the desperate populace and ragged defenders of the Free City of Whitemist attempt to resist a terrifying Seraphon force that is determined to wipe their city from the map. Setrima leads the Reclaimed contingent in the fledgling city of Whitemist in Ulgu, and her people face ridicule and persecution from the Azyrites for their ancient beliefs.

Of course the short story that has Reclaimed in it also has my favorite faction as the antagonists 😭

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I was about to mention that hordish point earlier, but then I recalled about BoK.

We can also hardly call Kruleboyz hordish. As long as they put two units of 10 models its probably more than enough to have more models than stormcast.

53 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

while that would also be extremely cool, I like how their heads are facsimiles of real smiles and faces that are twisted into an Uncanny horror

Of course the short story that has Reclaimed in it also has my favorite faction as the antagonists 😭

I get the distinct feeling that those “ancient traditions” are going to actually be Chaos rituals. 

36 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

We can also hardly call Kruleboyz hordish. As long as they put two units of 10 models its probably more than enough to have more models than stormcast.

Didn't they have 20 Hobgoblins? Imo that's enough to call it horde. Maybe not the whole faction, but at least the box contents.

Just now, Ejecutor said:

Didn't they have 20 Hobgoblins? Imo that's enough to call it horde. Maybe not the whole faction, but at least the box contents.

It had, but if that is the metric for a horde they can put almost anything vs stormcast to be the hord. 20 arkanauts, 20 mortek guard, 20 dryads all would be hordes but all of those models come from factions as elite as stormcast.

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

It sounds interesting I might pick up but it is getting increasingly tiresome of making the Azyrites as cookie cutter racist 

Godeater was good as in-depth dive into the culture divide but then you have Talhia Vedra Short "Head of the serpent" and it mediocre story whinnying more about the Azyrites then the actual chaos warrior because "muh parcher pride"

hope it on the former side

as for the others Im with @Asbestress and picking up Sigmar Fist and support @Acrozatarim and pick up hounds

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

It had, but if that is the metric for a horde they can put almost anything vs stormcast to be the hord. 20 arkanauts, 20 mortek guard, 20 dryads all would be hordes but all of those models come from factions as elite as stormcast.

Obviously not just that, but yeah. What I meant to say is that from the second edition we saw something that look more like a horde than an elite bunch of minis on the "bad" side.

13 minutes ago, woolf said:

Any thoughts on Sons ff?

I don't know a lot about them, but the national group seems to be fine. Most people think that it will not be so diferent than 3rd and there are still the same "ouch" skills there. There are some questions (like kicking objective) that most people just accept that it will be changed for something more in line of 4th.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I don't know a lot about them, but the national group seems to be fine. Most people think that it will not be so diferent than 3rd and there are still the same "ouch" skills there. There are some questions (like kicking objective) that most people just accept that it will be changed for something more in line of 4th.

ok yeah makes sense, imo not the most interesting faction, they are so different so imo the main thing from designing them to be aware of should be to nor have them break the game, would rather accept them a bit underwhelming from a competitive point of view but more flavourful for hobbyists that like them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, woolf said:

ok yeah makes sense, imo not the most interesting faction, they are so different so imo the main thing from designing them to be aware of should be to nor have them break the game, would rather accept them a bit underwhelming from a competitive point of view but more flavourful for hobbyists that like them

I think it is a mix of having so few minis, being quite recent, and that not that many people is willing to pay more than X for just one model that probably makes them the least collected army? Based on no data at all, just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

I think it is a mix of having so few minis, being quite recent, and that not that many people is willing to pay more than X for just one model that probably makes them the least collected army? Based on no data at all, just my thoughts.

Yeah I think their concept makes more sense as a mercenary ally than a stand alone army actually

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Acrozatarim said:

Yep! I am the Christopher Allen on the cover there :) It's the second short story I've had published by Black Library; the first was released last year.

I just realised that from all the AoS shorts released at the same time than your first one, yours is the only one I have pending to read! Now I have to make room for it no matter what!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, woolf said:

Yeah I think their concept makes more sense as a mercenary ally than a stand alone army actually

especially since the writers cemented that there ARE still gargants who live "civilized" still like their old empire and aren't overtly hostile to Order factions.

29 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

especially since the writers cemented that there ARE still gargants who live "civilized" still like their old empire and aren't overtly hostile to Order factions.

There’s also a lot of expansion opportunities we need to see realized like theirpets which can range from two-headed hounds the size of cathedrals to megalofins and more priests & wizards like their matriarch chanters(Daughters of Behemat) and necromancer gargants in Shyish as well the two-headed sorcerer gargants that dined on Tzeentch daemons.

They have tons of potential to both add more units for other Grand Alliances to “hire” and beef up their forces as well the added variety would give SoB more options for their own faction’s tactics.

I’d also like to see a unit or two(probably a monster pet) reference their respect for Alarielle & the Sylvaneth who sanctified their father’s resting place so now gargant tribes avoid stepping on their sacred forests. Could do a Druid mega-gargant covered in vines & sprites and probably a pet like a giant insect.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

There’s also a lot of expansion opportunities we need to see realized like theirpets which can range from two-headed hounds the size of cathedrals to megalofins and more priests & wizards like their matriarch chanters(Daughters of Behemat) and necromancer gargants in Shyish as well the two-headed sorcerer gargants that dined on Tzeentch daemons.

They have tons of potential to both add more units for other Grand Alliances to “hire” and beef up their forces as well the added variety would give SoB more options for their own faction’s tactics.

I’d also like to see a unit or two(probably a monster pet) reference their respect for Alarielle & the Sylvaneth who sanctified their father’s resting place so now gargant tribes avoid stepping on their sacred forests. Could do a Druid mega-gargant covered in vines & sprites and probably a pet like a giant insect.

Ill add on and say they could also do stuff like branch on with other giant races, variants of gargants like Cyclops, fire giants & storm giants

titancyclopsgowa.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&fit=bounds&quality=70&format=jpg&auto=webp

Fire Giant fan art, he's got very few around as well so here's my take on  him : r/Eldenring

Deep Dive - The Storm Giant — Dump Stat Adventures

Even if they want to stick with their Fairy tale aesthetic they still a bunch of stuff they could add on like talking a page from the Witcher the cloud giants a sorta armor-esq giant making them Knight-ish

Screen captured from the Red engine 3

maybe even a sort of deranged Sky-tiana last of of his race left with only the barbaric kin to rule

RIZE | GriffyBones 🔜 Combo Breaker on X: "One of the funnier experiences I  have had while playing through Dark Souls 3 for the first time this year is  finding out the

Edited by Dragon-knight77
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

sorta armor-esq giant making them Knight-ish

The current tome does note plate armored gargants in Chamon so that would track.

I kinda think that’s how they can do a new wizard sprue.

legs covered by an armored kilt so the top half can have the bottom half decorated for a necromancer(Death) that hangs corpses on it, sorcerer(Chaos) that hangs daemon fetishes on it which protects their legs from squishies while they concentrate while the armored one(Order) has a top half that matches the plain armored kilt.

21 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

maybe even a sort of deranged Sky-tiana last of of his race left with only the barbaric kin to rule

Technically that’s the first Ghyran gargants that followed King Brodd in trying to take back their homes on the Great Green Torc in the 2016 God-Beast campaign.

(that’s their cities in the bottom right)

IMG_3672.png?ex=6664f420&is=6663a2a0&hm=

image.jpeg.80f79ba56038c834938864eb38a25409.jpeg

IMG_3666.jpg?ex=6663e436&is=666292b6&hm=

(was really happy “the Long Hunt” dawner book even used the Torc picture)

First they lost a chunk of their sky palaces thanks to angering Gorkamorka by blasting his dinner(a shoal of megalofins that flew near) and when he slapped down some the Ogors below took their advanced cannons & guns.

This is also how Ushoran got his Summercourt castle in the Ghyran Dawner books which is nice continuity they remembered all the crashing fortresses near the Sprawl.

And then later the whole chaos invasion forced them to hide in the swamps below(Behemat’s armpit :p) where they went tribal from the 500+ years hiding until they rallied around King Brodd to retake their homes.(which they did but sadly lost Behemat in the exchange).

So it’s actually possible for them to rediscover themselves as they continue reclaiming the Green Torc top and seeing their ancient floating homes again(even if the end result winds up closer to Fallout marauders claiming a lost tech vault)

Edit: though they still don’t know who inhabits the Life & Death castles at the Torc’s heads so maybe true remnants could be there?

IMG_3667.jpg?ex=6663e808&is=66629688&hm=

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2

Question for the FS lovers, @Snarff.

I was reading the FFS (or FS FF) and something came to my mind. They amass ur-gold to reunite all the pieces of Grimnir's spirit, but they also use it until its power is gone. So... aren't they slowly killing Grimnir's spirit?

What happens with those ur-gold runes once they have no more power... also, it is a bit like sabotaging yourself. You need ur-gold, but you use it, so you need more to cover what you are using... doesn't seem the best of the strategies.