General Chat Thread

20 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Question for the FS lovers, @Snarff.

I was reading the FFS (or FS FF) and something came to my mind. They amass ur-gold to reunite all the pieces of Grimnir's spirit, but they also use it until its power is gone. So... aren't they slowly killing Grimnir's spirit?

What happens with those ur-gold runes once they have no more power... also, it is a bit like sabotaging yourself. You need ur-gold, but you use it, so you need more to cover what you are using... doesn't seem the best of the strategies.

Your first experience of religion logic? : D

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

I was reading the FFS (or FS FF) and something came to my mind. They amass ur-gold to reunite all the pieces of Grimnir's spirit, but they also use it until its power is gone. So... aren't they slowly killing Grimnir's spirit?

What happens with those ur-gold runes once they have no more power... also, it is a bit like sabotaging yourself. You need ur-gold, but you use it, so you need more to cover what you are using... doesn't seem the best of the strategies.

Not an FS player, but if I remember my lore correctly it's implied that depleting the rune releases Grimnir's power instead of destroying it. It might be one of those things kept deliberately vague to raise the very question you asked, but it seems unlikely that an entire culture dedicated to the revivification of their deity would knowingly hamstring their goal just for a comparatively small advantage. Especially Duardin, they're traditionally a pretty focused, driven, and stubborn lot.

Edited by OkayestDM
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

The current theory is that upon buring the ur-gold out the spirit of grimnir is free to once more amass together and ressurect himself 

However it a Ynari case of when he does it will start the dwarven version of Ragnarok call; Doomgrom

If lodge lofnir is correct then Grimnir will return ridding Vulkatrix into the realm of chaos with the untied race into the realm of chaos

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

The current theory is that upon buring the ur-gold out the spirit of grimnir is free to once more amass together and ressurect himself 

However it a Ynari case of when he does it will start the dwarven version of Ragnarok call; Doomgrom

If lodge lofnir is correct then Grimnir will return ridding Vulkatrix into the realm of chaos with the untied race into the realm of chaos

So when they burn ur-gold, they lose progress in the "Grimnir's Freedom" achievement? Then I don't think we will ever see Grimnir back. It is either that or FS got a change on their ideology about using runes, which could be a nice change, IMO, to introduce something different to the army. Kind of a cleavage. Those that use runes and those that don't and changed their FS style.

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

So when they burn ur-gold, they lose progress in the "Grimnir's Freedom" achievement? Then I don't think we will ever see Grimnir back. It is either that or FS got a change on their ideology about using runes, which could be a nice change, IMO, to introduce something different to the army. Kind of a cleavage. Those that use runes and those that don't and changed their FS style.

The opposite - using up the ur-gold frees Grimnir's spirit to reform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

Don't break my illusions, the cleavage idea was cool....

Thanks!

I understand that you find a cleavage cool but this is not the place for this. I think I need to create a General Filth Thread for the likes of you! 🤔

...and myself WEEEEEEEEEEEE 🥴

Edited by MitGas
  • Haha 3

OBR looks good imo, those faction abilities are strong and flexible, the 12" bubble restriction is a bit painful and I suppose will gear playstyle a bit more towards the importance of heroes which has always been a death thing in warhammer so I quite like it. Pretty disappointed they didn't show Katakros tho

15 minutes ago, woolf said:

OBR looks good imo, those faction abilities are strong and flexible, the 12" bubble restriction is a bit painful and I suppose will gear playstyle a bit more towards the importance of heroes which has always been a death thing in warhammer so I quite like it. Pretty disappointed they didn't show Katakros tho

Within the context of the Regiment system, I'm thinking the 12" within won't hurt too bad. Mortek guard are on 25mm bases + regiments means you'll probably be clustering those units around heroes anyway.

32 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Within the context of the Regiment system, I'm thinking the 12" within won't hurt too bad. Mortek guard are on 25mm bases + regiments means you'll probably be clustering those units around heroes anyway.

Good point, and also if points are up a bit across the board we see smaller armies

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woolf said:

I think for OBR they want to capture the image of tightly-packed, disciplined phalanxes. They don't want them to play as a bunch of solo operators or a horde spreading out widely. With that in mind, the 12" restriction encourages thematic play. It is an interest contrast to Cities of Sigmar, which have similar allegiance abilities, but who work in power pairs instead of regiments.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Acrozatarim said:

I absolutely love that colour scheme on the Spearhead. If that was how they'd been painted up generally, I might have actually bought into them previously.

That’s the Ivory Host’s scheme and they probably don’t use it because it’s a bit of a PITA to paint. 

• Sad 1

There's a paragraph in the new story.

"Seated on her throne beneath the Oak of Ages Past, it had been an age since Alarielle had felt fear. She was weakened from her part in caging the Earthquake God and curtailing his destructive reign"

Has kragnos been recaged I've been away for A week or two don't think I missed any stories like this so trying to place it. Is it in Dawnbringers:6?

Also notice a line of beastmen scattered... I did wonder if the way they deal with boc and BS squat would be similar to the original squats being eaten by tyranids, something like well skaven wiped them out/ate thenn all.

8 minutes ago, Kempak said:

"Seated on her throne beneath the Oak of Ages Past, it had been an age since Alarielle had felt fear. She was weakened from her part in caging the Earthquake God and curtailing his destructive reign"

Has kragnos been recaged I've been away for A week or two don't think I missed any stories like this so trying to place it. Is it in Dawnbringers:6?

Also notice a line of beastmen scattered... I did wonder if the way they deal with boc and BS squat would be similar to the original squats being eaten by tyranids, something like well skaven wiped them out/ate thenn all.

He has no mentions in DB 6.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScionOfOssia said:

That’s the Ivory Host’s scheme and they probably don’t use it because it’s a bit of a PITA to paint. 

Hmmm, with an airbrush for the blades it seems quite easy actually. 

Zenithal-prime with a bone color and bone+white, do the blades with a dark orange and light orange, paint armor white, paint metallics (very few in there), oil wash whole mini (except for the blades) and remove it (way faster than regular washes if you batch paint), varnish unless you wanna wait a few days, contrast paint for black if you wanna be fast, paint orange details, varnish again, redo edges of metallics…

With advanced techniques it‘s a pretty simple scheme! ☝️🤓

1 hour ago, Kempak said:

Beastmen are not totally gone, I figure Khorne and Nurgle will get their own variants for AoS and if GW mentions BoC in the lore, it will likely be along the lines of Beastmen going full mono-god mode in their beliefs to explain said change away. 🤔 Hell, they might throw in Undivided Beastmen as well for Slaves. Should‘ve made Minotaurs instead of Ogroids, that way they would‘ve had it already. 😂

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Hmmm, with an airbrush for the blades it seems quite easy actually. 

Zenithal-prime with a bone color and bone+white, do the blades with a dark orange and light orange, paint armor white, paint metallics (very few in there), oil wash whole mini (except for the blades) and remove it (way faster than regular washes if you batch paint), varnish unless you wanna wait a few days, contrast paint for black if you wanna be fast, paint orange details, varnish again, redo edges of metallics…

With advanced techniques it‘s a pretty simple scheme! ☝️🤓

The armor isn’t just white- The shade in the recesses combined with a white edge highlight is what gives the armor its distinctive look. Just doing it white loses the effect and I’m speaking as someone that painted an entire Gothizzar Harvester, 4 Morghasts, and Tithe-Nexus in this scheme. It seems simple but to actually pull it off it can be a royal pain, particularly if done by hand. 

I love their look but holy hell is it not beginner friendly. 

57 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

The armor isn’t just white- The shade in the recesses combined with a white edge highlight is what gives the armor its distinctive look. Just doing it white loses the effect and I’m speaking as someone that painted an entire Gothizzar Harvester, 4 Morghasts, and Tithe-Nexus in this scheme. It seems simple but to actually pull it off it can be a royal pain, particularly if done by hand. 

That‘s why I wrote oil wash (enamel wash would also work). :) You‘d just take a dark brown to recess shade the bone and the white (it looks like they got a brown wash, pic is pretty small) in one go. Admittedly airbrush and oils are not beginner-friendly but IMO it actually is quite an easy scheme if you have the tools. If you just do it with GW paints (or just acrylics in general), then yeah, good luck, it‘s gonna be time-consuming for sure. The whole basecoat/wash/reapply basecoat of normal acrylics coupled with bone and white is boring indeed. Not to mention the blade, blending them all by hand is boring as well - but I doubt they did that without an airbrush either. 👍 

If you love the scheme, find someone with an airbrush and force them to be your friend! Finally a useful friend!
😎🤙

10 hours ago, ScionOfOssia said:

Rather than not  beginner friendly I would call it not time friendly 😅