General Chat Thread

Number of models and their size definitely helps to be motivated to paint. I don't like playing on a gamemat with painted circles, but I must admit having to tell myself to paint 10 infantry, 3 cavalry, 1 monstruous infantry and a character for the Flesh Eater Courts Spearhead is an reasonnable goal to reach for myself. And once I have all painted...why not play ? It's just one book, no additionnal indexes / general handbook needed to be added.

Really wish for GW to advertise that mode seriously, and not treat it as a mere stepping stone to the "true AoS game that is matched play 2000 points".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

I hope they just don't forget the game mode exists. That would be even worse than not having any entry point. Imagine getting an entry point that does not match the big brother anymore.

This is always a danger with GW, that they make a good thing and then just have it fail through mismanagement.

But the reviews for Spearhead have been so positive and the game mode seems to be designed with so much intentionality to act as an entry point, that I am personally pretty confident that the designers have long term plans for it.

In my mind, the not updating/supporting the mode would only be the second worst thing they could do. The actual worst thing would be to bloat the mode with unnecessary complexity, which I think historically has been the bigger problem for them.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

I don't like playing on a gamemat with painted circles

If Spearhead is fun I am considering building a nice board for it as a first table building project. Seems like with the small board size that would be pretty doable, and you could really use it as an opportunity to build thematic objectives that actually make sense to fight over.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

It's just one book, no additionnal indexes / general handbook needed to be added.

I'm really liking the sound of that aspect of it. Faffing around with endless books and cards and documents and whatever else is one of my least favourite parts of the gaming experience. Everything in one book? Yes, please! 

I just need to get two more Slaangors painted, and my spearhead will be ready to slice. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

This is always a danger with GW, that they make a good thing and then just have it fail through mismanagement.

But the reviews for Spearhead have been so positive and the game mode seems to be designed with so much intentionality to act as an entry point, that I am personally pretty confident that the designers have long term plans for it.

In my mind, the not updating/supporting the mode would only be the second worst thing they could do. The actual worst thing would be to bloat the mode with unnecessary complexity, which I think historically has been the bigger problem for them.

And we also "know" that the Hachette collection will be built around spearhead, so that will be another massive push for it.

4 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If Spearhead is fun I am considering building a nice board for it as a first table building project. Seems like with the small board size that seems pretty doable, and you could really use it as an opportunity to build thematic objectives that actually make sense to fight over.

Great idea! A board that size could double up as a scenic display, too. 

35 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Number of models and their size definitely helps to be motivated to paint. I don't like playing on a gamemat with painted circles, but I must admit having to tell myself to paint 10 infantry, 3 cavalry, 1 monstruous infantry and a character for the Flesh Eater Courts Spearhead is an reasonnable goal to reach for myself. And once I have all painted...why not play ? It's just one book, no additionnal indexes / general handbook needed to be added.

Really wish for GW to advertise that mode seriously, and not treat it as a mere stepping stone to the "true AoS game that is matched play 2000 points".

And honestly, having a Hero and 3-4 units is much more a format that I like to play, compared to a massive battle with uber-gods walking around. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PraetorDragoon said:

It has just dawned on me that I'm more excited for Spearhead than 'big' AOS, to the point I felt motivated to paint some Spearheads that were half-finished for years. Funny thing that.

Yup, happened to me as well, have been sitting on the SCE side of Dominion since it was released 😅

Funny to finally get those models painted just in time for the edition where they launched to sun-set...

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Yeah for how long did underworlds survive? 2-3yrs? 

Although being closer linked to the main game should help keep the format alive.

I am def counting towards the ppl looking forward to Spearhead, the only thing I'm a bit worried about is if its too random; seems games are typically close (by account of ppl who reviewed) and the factions are "well balanced" these are ofc good things in isolation but could also be an effect of the game just being very much down to chance (card order etc), that's something I could see killing the hype a bit, at least for me personally..

7 minutes ago, woolf said:

Yeah for how long did underworlds survive? 2-3yrs? 

Although being closer linked to the main game should help keep the format alive.

I am def counting towards the ppl looking forward to Spearhead, the only thing I'm a bit worried about is if its too random; seems games are typically close (by account of ppl who reviewed) and the factions are "well balanced" these are ofc good things in isolation but could also be an effect of the game just being very much down to chance (card order etc), that's something I could see killing the hype a bit, at least for me personally..

Shadespire released in 2017, so Warhammer Underworlds has now been going strong with major releases for 7 years now. 

Its one of the worst examples to pick. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Shadespire released in 2017, so Warhammer Underworlds has now been going strong with major releases for 7 years now. 

Its one of the worst examples to pick. 

Underworlds is kind of a valid example of a game becoming hard to get into over time, however. I remember getting a few warbands to paint at some point and not being able to figure out which ones of them were still playable and how to get the cards and unit sheets needed to use them.

Just now, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Underworlds is kind of a valid example of a game becoming hard to get into over time, however. I remember getting a few warbands to paint at some point and not being able to figure out which ones of them were still playable and how to get the cards and unit sheets needed to use them.

I agree it does not help that GW released the warbands separately without any cards. That has screwed over some people like you who picked up a warband but then couldn't find the underworlds stuff. 

7 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

I agree it does not help that GW released the warbands separately without any cards. That has screwed over some people like you who picked up a warband but then couldn't find the underworlds stuff. 

I tried to keep up with it for a while but the rotation was very fast as well. liked the fixed rivals format more tbh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If Spearhead is fun I am considering building a nice board for it as a first table building project. Seems like with the small board size that would be pretty doable, and you could really use it as an opportunity to build thematic objectives that actually make sense to fight over.

A suggestion. You can buy a large, plain black picture frame which is exactly 30 inches by 22 inches inside the frame from Ikea. It costs like £18 and is a great base to build a board on. (You could even put a normal picture in the frame and a gaming matt surface on the backside and hang it on a wall for storage. It looks just like a nornal picture in a frame, but can then be taken off the wall, flipped over and you have a game board! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 5

13 minutes ago, Hollow said:

A suggestion. You can buy a large, plain black picture frame which is exactly 30 inches by 22 inches inside the frame from Ikea. It costs like £18 and is a great base to build a board on. (You could even put a normal picture in the frame and a gaming matt surface on the backside and hang it on a wall for storage. It looks just like a nornal picture in a frame, but can then be taken off the wall, flipped over and you have a game board! 

Some top level cleverness, right there. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Epic

Spearheads are supercool cause they‘d give me an excuse to maybe collect another army without having to commit so much to it. 

I‘m still very miffed about perhaps not being able to use Tzeentch-marked Slaves units tho in 4th. I got enough Slaves to field a full force but mixining things is fun. 😭

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I‘m still very miffed about perhaps not being able to use Tzeentch-marked Slaves units tho in 4th. I got enough Slaves to field a full force but mixining things is fun. 😭

Well, I don't think anything has been said one way or the other about coalition units in mono-god armies. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that. But considering how they chipped away at the viability of having coalition units in Third edition, I can't see a sudden swing towards it again. 

9 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Spearheads are supercool cause they‘d give me an excuse to maybe collect another army without having to commit so much to it. 

This is how all begins and you end up having a whole collection of that army.

image.png.6fa865a5babceb577070732a291e9926.png

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Well, I don't think anything has been said one way or the other about coalition units in mono-god armies. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that. But considering how they chipped away at the viability of having coalition units in Third edition, I can't see a sudden swing towards it again. 

Yeah, using STD units was pretty bad indeed but sometimes it‘s all about looks after all! I feel that you, judging by your allegiance, fully understand. 😂 

• Like 1

Just now, Ejecutor said:

This is how all begins and you end up having a whole collection of that army.

image.png.6fa865a5babceb577070732a291e9926.png

Thankfully my indecisiveness helps me in that regard. There are so many cool armies we don‘t have in my group. Soulblight, Cities, DoK, FLC, Skaven,… 

Our gitz player will start SCE now and our Nurgle player wants to start Slaanesh too, so that‘s very cool at least. 

32 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Ah brilliant, there are several other magic-leaning armies you could dabble with, some of them even feature guys in armour.. with shields..  and and spears!