General Chat Thread

@Sception @Twisted Firaun

Usually you will find multiple sellers on Etsy that buy all these STLs and print them for you if the kickstarter works out.

I‘m thinking about getting a 3d printer as well in the next few months, so if nothing works out, I‘d probably be able to print them for you then (unless I‘m too stupid but I think this won‘t be too difficult)

55 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Usually you will find multiple sellers on Etsy that buy all these STLs and print them for you if the kickstarter works out.

I‘m thinking about getting a 3d printer as well in the next few months, so if nothing works out, I‘d probably be able to print them for you then (unless I‘m too stupid but I think this won‘t be too difficult)

Worth mentioning that for scenery printing with resin tends to be quite expensive, so some people prefer to go with filament.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Thanks for the offer @MitGas, but I’ll spare you the effort and ask my cousin instead (he’s into 3D printing).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Worth mentioning that for scenery printing with resin tends to be quite expensive, so some people prefer to go with filament.

Indeed but filament kinda sucks from what I've seen. A friend got himself a temple printed and those obvious print lines ruin it IMO. I guess a better result is possible with PLA than what I've seen but ultimately it won't look great without some extra work.

7 hours ago, MitGas said:

Indeed but filament kinda sucks from what I've seen. A friend got himself a temple printed and those obvious print lines ruin it IMO. I guess a better result is possible with PLA than what I've seen but ultimately it won't look great without some extra work.

I totally agree. I have the same problem. I want to print something that should be done in filament, but quality-wise... meh... I am thinking (as they are rocks) if putting something on top of the print could fix it.

1 hour ago, Sarouan said:

If you want quality terrain, you pay the price. If you want it cheap, you deal with print lines. That's the reality with 3D printed terrain, and why Kickstarters selling files aren't such a great deal in the end.

Do you have an example of a company whose prints don't show lines with filament printing? I found a company that sells quite nice looking stuff and prints with filament, supposedly high quality ones, but it is not enough, IMHO. The lines are not everywhere but are there.

Dark Fantastic Mills

2648760343.jpg

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I totally agree. I have the same problem. I want to print something that should be done in filament, but quality-wise... meh... I am thinking (as they are rocks) if putting something on top of the print could fix it.

As far as I understand, there are ways to smooth filament prints. Some of them can be sanded or, depending on the plastic, smoothed with isopropyl alcolohol. Printing terrain in resin is something I am not so sure about, since it is expensive, heavy and brittle.

I have painted some filament 3D printed terrain before, for big stuff like ruins or walls it is OK. But it does make it much harder to drybrush the piece and washes have a tendency to run everywhere.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Do you have an example of a company whose prints don't show lines with filament printing? I found a company that sells quite nice looking stuff and prints with filament, supposedly high quality ones, but it is not enough, IMHO. The lines are not everywhere but are there.

Choose a producer that does resin. That's the only way. Filaments will always have lines, because that's how the 3D printing machine works.

Even with resin, you will have some points that can show where the supports were put. Check if your producer does also take care of the product after curing, like sanding and such. Of course those who do tend to be even more expensive, because that's asking for more work afterwards.

And yes, like Neil Arthur Hotep said, there are ways to attenuate the lines with sanding, using some thick cover paint that can fill them a bit or products like IPA or acetone (in very light ways !) to melt them a bit more. But all of that asks for work as well. It's not "print and play" stuff we're talking about.

However, contrary to what Neil said, there are ways for resin terrain to be lighter / sturdier by using more flexible (and expensive) resin and hollowing your models where you can (especially true for fortress walls, you don't need the pieces to be full resin). Filament produced tend to be not that sturdy as well for some thin details either.

There's no perfect solution unless you have limitless money at your disposal. And in that case...GW terrain actually doesn't look that expensive in comparison when you add it all (buying the files, printing them by a producer, asking for further aftercare like sanding the lines, delivery fines...).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Dark Fantastic Mills

2648760343.jpg

Why does the Elden Ring music start to play? 

It‘s a nice model indeed. But getting PLA prints to look great is a ton of work if you‘ve got higher standards. And I‘m not very fond of PLA for one other reason: it easily breaks! These prints are probably sturdier but still, it‘s such a „dry“ material, I‘d worry about such a big model. And if you feel the gaps, sand it, reinforce it… it‘s a ton of work. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/06/27/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-metawatch-getting-ready-for-the-new-edition-of-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/

"There will be a free document made available for download before launch that contains all of the battle profiles – unit points and regiment options for each army – alongside answers to frequently asked questions and errata. This new approach, one document in multiple languages, is designed to make it much easier to have everything in one place.

When the game receives a major balance pass, those updates will be contained in that one document. These are Battlescrolls, the primary delivery method the Warhammer Studio is using to ensure a healthy, evolving meta that strives for balance both between and within factions.

These are planned for every quarter and the Studio is going to continuously aim for a healthy mix of updates to internal and external balance where needed, while trying to keep the overhead of staying abreast of the changes manageable. Points changes remain the primary means of adjusting balance, there may also be changes to warscroll abilities of battle traits where appropriate.

The interim updates in spring and autumn are spot fixes to deal with outliers from the expected 45%-55% win-rate band, as well as addressing problematic interactions and points of confusion. The summer and winter will be more substantial: this is where you can expect wider-ranging updates to help smooth out internal balance or the inclusion of universal options in lists. All of the changes will be contained within the one Battle Profile document and will be summarised at the top."

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Ooph. Already a metawatch before even the game is officially released...

That's basically saying "hey what is printed in our books you don't even have ? Already obsolete, guys !".

Not a good sign for new players to engage with 4th edition, IMHO.

That's a weird take. It's talking about how they intend to balance in the future. That's really good information. Did you read the article or listen to the video?

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

That's basically saying "hey what is printed in our books you don't even have ? Already obsolete, guys !".

I bet it's the opposite for majority of players. It's basically GW saying "we care about the state of the game and we are willing to provide continuous support".

I know you would prefer they focus on different stuff (not win % and balance), but it's still far better than neglect.  

• Like 4

Lol i have been busy a few days and missed way to much. New app and Snarlfang hype!

If the app works the same as 40k just make 1 army list for every army u own and u can still use them and change the lists when the app gets paywalled instead of just 1. I can still use all 3 of my 40k lists for free.

1 minute ago, Gitzdee said:

Lol i have been busy a few days and missed way to much. New app and Snarlfang hype!

If the app works the same as 40k just make 1 army list for every army u own and u can still use them and change the lists when the app gets paywalled instead of just 1. I can still use all 3 of my 40k lists for free.

But still, that's the POV from someone who has experience and knows how to "trick" the system, but imagine you are new or never were interested in the app before and you see that you can only use 1 list... :(

9 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

But still, that's the POV from someone who has experience and knows how to "trick" the system, but imagine you are new or never were interested in the app before and you see that you can only use 1 list... :(

And...if you accidentally delete one list, you can't ever gernerate it again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sarouan said:

There are some things that should be adressed in the core rules like how companions work or the interaction between redeploy and covering fire and we are lacking indexes, that surely will come with some erratas or wuestions about how stuff works.

I prefer to have those problems solved in a 0-day document than wait until September for that.