General Chat Thread

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I want to post about this in the strategy thread later too, but IMO a lot of lists will not need to bring Manifestations at all. They are useful, but are usually pretty hard to cast and a lot of factions will struggle to bring a lot of wizards due to the new list building rules. I don't think you are majorly handicapping yourself by just casting your lore spells.

This is very faction-dependant. With very limited lores (3 spells), shortened ranges (generally), multiple wizards with no warscroll spells and only one "unlimited" spell in each lore, I would argue that Manifestations are almost mandatory if you can bring Wizard (2) or (3), or else you can easily find yourself in a "nothing reasonable to cast" situation.

1 minute ago, Flippy said:

This is very faction-dependant. With very limited lores (3 spells), shortened ranges (generally), multiple wizards with no warscroll spells and only one "unlimited" spell in each lore, I would argue that Manifestations are almost mandatory if you can bring Wizard (2) or (3), or else you can easily find yourself in a "nothing reasonable to cast" situation.

You are not wrong that it's faction dependent. I will post in the strategy thread and @ you there.

5 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

I just had a quick look at the new Legends and I must say, for the games I play? All those Sacrosanct units might as well be still in the game, once they get removed. 

Thundrik's have an awesome utility tool: on a 3+, an objective within 12" cannot be contested and controled. That's one of the best tools for an army with a punch and good movement, but has a hard time contesting an objective.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Thundrik's have an awesome utility tool: on a 3+, an objective within 12" cannot be contested and controled. That's one of the best tools for an army with a punch and good movement, but has a hard time contesting an objective.

They've really put some work into those warscrolls. They're fully usable, with some flavour and all the 4th ed bangs and whistles. It's so refreshing to see, actually. 

• Like 4

On the Legends warscrolls, it's an unsurprising bummer that more old FW stuff isn't included. I'm liable to make a compilation of missing warscrolls. Has anyone done any rough math comparing 3rd or even 2nd warscroll profiles to 4th yet? If I do it, I'm liable to put them up here.

Absolutely my troll hag, wolf rats, giant rats, and brood horror are coming to my local tables.

Edited by brocktoon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, brocktoon said:

On the Legends warscrolls, it's an unsurprising bummer that more old FW stuff isn't included. I'm liable to make a compilation of missing warscrolls. Has anyone done any rough math comparing 3rd or even 2nd warscroll profiles to 4th yet? If I do it, I'm liable to put them up here.

Absolutely my troll hag, wolf rats, giant rats, and brood horror are coming to my local tables.

You might want to wait a bit for the skaven stuff, as those might make using the legends stuff easier at some point.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brocktoon said:

I guess it's a bit complicated with, for example, some of the old dwarven Legends entries now making a reappearance in TOW. Sure, it'd be great to have all the old stuff supported, but at some point it does get to much. And I'm not hating this shift from quantity over to quality, personally.

• Confused 1

Yeah, I'm for sure not making a case for everyone bringing everything to every game. But, for instance, I have lovingly painted plague toads, the aforementioned skaven stuff, and some other bits and pieces. I play strictly narrative so, for my table, having that stuff available is a bonus. I just want to keep it in line as best I can with how things are balanced and costed.

On 7/15/2024 at 2:53 PM, Grungnisson said:

Sure, it'd be great to have all the old stuff supported, but at some point it does get to much. 

Well, I have to agree. The space on virtual shelves where GW put all digital rules isn't unlimited, am I right?

6 minutes ago, Nuriel said:

Well, I have to agree. The space on virtual shelves where GW put all digital rules isn't unlimited, am I right?

Haha, SO witty.

No, dear, it's about keeping writing rules for kits that, in some cases, haven't been even sold for many years, while some others haven't seen the AoS support beyond compendiums and never even featured in any of the proper battletomes.

So, tell me, how many people are still so desperate to play the Archmage on Dragon in AoS? Drazhoath the Ashen? Excelsior Warpriest? Kazyk the Befouled? Grot Rock Lobber? Will there be enough interest there, to give those as much attention, as the Underworlds warbands? Is GW really supposed to allocate resources and manhours for the sake of five people globally?

1 hour ago, Bosskelot said:

It's bizarre that abilities are drop-downs.

I think the paper-based Warscrolls with their new layout are much easier and quicker to read in comparison, I think I'll just use those instead of the app at the moment with all its tapping to see each individual parts of the Warscrolls. Bit of a fail IMO.

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Haha, SO witty.

No, dear, it's about keeping writing rules for kits that, in some cases, haven't been even sold for many years, while some others haven't seen the AoS support beyond compendiums and never even featured in any of the proper battletomes.

So, tell me, how many people are still so desperate to play the Archmage on Dragon in AoS? Drazhoath the Ashen? Excelsior Warpriest? Kazyk the Befouled? Grot Rock Lobber? Will there be enough interest there, to give those as much attention, as the Underworlds warbands? Is GW really supposed to allocate resources and manhours for the sake of five people globally?

At some point, when we have more editions and more minis that go into legends, they will start trimming those minis from the legends warscrolls.

1 hour ago, Nuriel said:

Computer storage space is quite literally not unlimited; you are either paying for your own database setup or paying a cloud hosting service. Neither are cheap unfortunately.

Random observation: I rather like the Regiments system for army building. It makes sense, I feel, to select a hero and then surround them with thematically suitable warriors. I know there's been some criticism of it, but it works for me. I guess it's easy for my faction (mortal heroes get mortal units, daemons get daemons). 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Random observation: I rather like the Regiments system for army building. It makes sense, I feel, to select a hero and then surround them with thematically suitable warriors. I know there's been some criticism of it, but it works for me. I guess it's easy for my faction (mortal heroes get mortal units, daemons get daemons). 

The better and larger your unit pool to pull from is, the more fun the Regiments system is. 

With deepkin, it gets pretty boring as you have heroes that can either take everything, or just Namarti. The subheroes are also pretty limited, so you tend to reach for the same stuff regardless of theme.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I find it pretty thematic and interesting as well. Obviously, the biggest the faction the more this system shines.

I feel it would work better if points we're more granular. As it is I've often found myself, because of hero and regiment limitations, with an extra 110 points in Lumineth lists and no way to spend them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

I feel it would work better if points we're more granular. As it is I've often found myself, because of hero and regiment limitations, with an extra 110 points in Lumineth lists and no way to spend them.

Yeah, I agree with that. You wind up having to virtually start from scratch because you can't get anything to fit at the end.