General Chat Thread

I too like the new regiment system even though the fact that few armies have the possibility to fill up to 2000 points if you are 90 points or less of 2000.

Another thing about the regiment system is that it feels like a lot of heroes will never see much play, since you use so few heroes.

Now for me it's no problem not using heroes, but I feel like they might need to do some small fixing with which heroes you can add to another heroes regiment if they want the internal balance to work out. Or do some other kind of fix, if it's important to GW that all heroes will e usable.

What I really like is that you can do very thematic armies without thinking about battle lines etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I wonder if we will auxiliary or 5 drop lists performing well at any point, or if the regiment system just too strongly incentivizes staying at 3 drops and below.

I definitely think there's potential for four or five drop lists to do well. Getting multiple priests and/or wizards in your army will sometimes be worth giving the first priority. I think the penalty for auxiliaries will be too big. I wonder if they change to just one command point instead of one per round in the future. 

That said  it would be a very edge case where auxiliaries come into play. Fitting everything I want in two regiments is extremely hard. I haven't made a list yet where I can't fit everything in five. 

11 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I definitely think there's potential for four or five drop lists to do well. Getting multiple priests and/or wizards in your army will sometimes be worth giving the first priority. I think the penalty for auxiliaries will be too big. I wonder if they change to just one command point instead of one per round in the future. 

That said  it would be a very edge case where auxiliaries come into play. Fitting everything I want in two regiments is extremely hard. I haven't made a list yet where I can't fit everything in five. 

I feel like if you can't fit in two drops then you're already giving up priority, so you might as well go to four or five and at least have a big advantage in heroes/magic/prayers to compensate.

Auxiliaries are right out, though.  I can't imagine them being playable in any sense.

16 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Since fitting everything into 5 regiments is so easy (meaning taking 1 or 1000 auxiliaries makes effectively no difference), I think if we see auxiliaries used it will be a list that mostly spams the same overpowered warscroll. Kind of like the Beasts of Chaos lists with 10 Cockatrices in them last edition. Heroes are normally very limited, so I wonder if there could be some where just bringing 6+ of the same one is a big advantage.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

The penalty for having more auxiliaries than your opponent is way to big to even risk having one in any list it feels like. And I can't see myself doing a list that need more than five regiments at the moment 

I do agree that it might come down to either have two drops or have as many as you want in competitive play. That's why those extra hero you can take are so important. That trugg for example can take a Troggboss in his regiment is a really big buff!

4 hours ago, Bosskelot said:

I feel it would work better if points we're more granular. As it is I've often found myself, because of hero and regiment limitations, with an extra 110 points in Lumineth lists and no way to spend them.

Honestly I really miss paying for endless spells, they were perfect for closing out those gaps in the list and getting you closer to the point limit. Someone on here mentioned having some paid for upgrades like generic magic items to customize heroes and I think that would work really well. A generic list might be tough to balance, but just letting people pay something like 20-50 points for an extra enhancement would really help. 

• Like 1

It's taken me a while to get round the curve but I actually quite like the new regiment system feels more thematic with lore for example alaric stonemage being able to take stoneguard and the others cannot.

Makes more sense in my head-cannon.

I prefer the move away from 3 battleline.

Although it's a little annoying finishing 40/50 points of 2000 I'll take manifestations for free.

I'm also a casual player not a meta/tournament player, I preferred second to third, didn't like the battalion system in 3rd, 4th is actually tempting me back to play casual games.

Edited by Kempak
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kempak said:

It's taken me a while to get round the curve but I actually quite like the new regiment system feels more thematic with lore for example alaric stonemage being able to take stoneguard and the others cannot.

Although it's a little annoying finishing 40/50 points of 2000 I'll take manifestations for free.

I'm also a casual player not a meta/tournament player, I preferred second to third, didn't like the battalion system in 3rd, 4th is actually tempting me back to play casual games.

I am also coming around to it as well but I kind of wish there was a little more interaction between the hero and the regiment. Like Command Abilities cost less when used by the general or a regiment's commander/hero? That might break balance, but I think that it would help sell the idea of the troops following their hero into battle.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Kempak said:

I like the theme of it and it does make list building more interesting, but my main problem is being sorta forced to buy more hero models. Like my Slaanesh collection is primarily daemon heroes but I do have quite a few mortal units. I've had a really hard time building lists that work because I only have one mortal hero. Combined with them having no cheap daemon wizards it's looking like I really need to go out and buy a shardspeaker, but at $41 for a small infantry hero that I've never really liked I'm not super happy. Although maybe that's just an issue for the chaos factions as they have the weird daemon/mortal split. 

I wish the distribution of who can take what heroes was more consistent. KO can take a bunch of their Heroes while IDK can only take a Thrallmaster or a named character. You can’t even use the excuse of canon, because canonically literally every Isharaan who takes the field would be an emissary to the leading King, not just Lotann. 

• Like 4

With regard to list-building, I really like the new system.  You never feel like you have to pay a "battleline tax" and it generally opens you to playing the kind of army you want.  At least, on paper. 

That said, actually getting out a pen and paper (or using the app) and figuring things out is a bit of a pain.  It's not just about points, but now it's also about remembering which regiments can have those units at all. 

You may know you want to run particular units, but you have to go back and forth figuring out which heroes can bring which things and deciding what goes into each regiment.  And I've also found that I'm often 80-90 points short of 2k.  And making edits on a complete list now can be a lot more cumbersome than revising a 3rd edition list.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

I like the theme of it and it does make list building more interesting, but my main problem is being sorta forced to buy more hero models. Like my Slaanesh collection is primarily daemon heroes but I do have quite a few mortal units. I've had a really hard time building lists that work because I only have one mortal hero. Combined with them having no cheap daemon wizards it's looking like I really need to go out and buy a shardspeaker, but at $41 for a small infantry hero that I've never really liked I'm not super happy. Although maybe that's just an issue for the chaos factions as they have the weird daemon/mortal split. 

Proxying is the way.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Clewzy said:

Is the base size for the griff hound wrong in the skaventide instructions?  It says 25mm but it doesnt seem to fit on

I think previously they were 32 or 40mm, but Skaventide has little few 32mm bases (just two for both skavens heroes?).

Part of the issue is definitely faction dependent for sure.

Lumineth are a nightmare of different restrictions for different heroes, whereas I messed around with Seraphon in the listbuilder and it just seemed trivially easy to get what I wanted where I wanted it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I think previously they were 32 or 40mm, but Skaventide has little few 32mm bases (just two for both skavens heroes?).

Companion gryph-hounds were previously on 40mm (like the unit) but have shrunk to 32mm starting with the Lord Imperatant (the unit is still on 40mm)

7 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Companion gryph-hounds were previously on 40mm (like the unit) but have shrunk to 32mm starting with the Lord Imperatant (the unit is still on 40mm)

Maybe now 25 is their official base? Are they considered also tokens like the Memorias that also go in 25?

No, the token gryph-hound in Skaventide is on a 32mm base. Token gryphs are 32mm and unit gryphs are 40mm. 

Edited to add: 

Warcom confirmed it is supposed to be 32mm. 

“* Please note that the construction guide for Skaventide shows the Gryph-crow on a 25mm base, which is incorrect. It should go on a 32mm base, which is included in the box.“

Edited by Vakarian
Add supporting link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've seen a couple of places online that the Spearheads from Skaventide are not well balanced.  My son and I will be playing our first game of those two forces tonight.  Which one is overpowered?  I'd like to subtly suggest he take that force.  

1 hour ago, Ferban said:

I've seen a couple of places online that the Spearheads from Skaventide are not well balanced.  My son and I will be playing our first game of those two forces tonight.  Which one is overpowered?  I'd like to subtly suggest he take that force.  

The SCE, from what I've heard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

Even more surprising seeing how small it is compared to the other Spearheads, are people saying why? is it OP only within the context of Skaventide?

Yeah. In comparison with the Skaven one.

• Like 1