General Chat Thread

Saw a post from Sepulchre of Heroes on FB and thought it was interesting. I'm gonna copy/paste it here and add a few things of mine because I think it's worth having a chat on.

Everyone else and me feels like GW's NOVA preview was really underbaked and a bit of a letdown. And I think the reason SOH is advancing as to why makes a lot of sense, but I'll get to it in a moment. For the preview, I do think too the best approach for the 2025 releases would've to do what they did with Sisters or CoS : show 3D renders, or maybe one or two figurines. We would have all be happy to see a single new Krieger, Aspect Warrior, Gitmob grot or hell yeah even an Emperor's Children. Instead 80% of the stuff was poorly made roadmaps. 

The main point now - why does the last 3rd of 2024 seem so empty ? We only have 3 major releases in the last 4 months : Skaven, SCE and Blood Angels. The rest is individual releases. And even before that, 2024 was feeling light on releases. Only big releases so far this year were FEC, Dark Angels, Skaventide, Kroot, S2D and that's generous. But why ? Well look at this map. This is shipping traffic as it is from just a few hours ago. The last time these routes around Africa were this popular for commerce, the Dutch East India company was trading spices and Portugal was a world power. Why is this so ? Because ships are not taking the Red Sea shipping lanes anymore because they've become dangerous as a consequence of the war in Yemen. It's likely that what the Houthi rebels are doing in the Red Sea has a lasting effect, including on plastic toy soldiers.

Peut être une image de carte et texte

Its likely raw material like plastic is taking a lot longer to get to GW for manufacturing, and costs more, and same goes for the books GW prints in China. That's why AoS4 released a few weeks later than 10th did last year, or why we waited forever for Briar & Bone and TOW Dwarfs. My guess is GW is trying to get some breathing space in this last third of the year to ensure production can catch up to the changing circumstances and ensure everything is ready for 2025.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I thought about it. I would find it a bit odd that suddenly every minor god starts to become a greater chaos god, but trying it? Why not! 

I mean Belakor has been trying for a long time, and now so is Vashtorr so thought why not.

Why should the rat-things have a proper god and not the dawi-zharr.

5 minutes ago, Kempak said:

I mean Belakor has been trying for a long time, and now so is Vashtorr so thought why not.

One step at a time. It has to be something special. If now all chaos gods are major gods then there are no real major gods.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kempak said:

Because unlike them, the Horned Rat proved his worth and might during the End Times. 

The Chorfs just got kicked in the ribs by Grimgor. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Freemeta said:

maybe Hashut is not a chaos god 😏

He is and always has been a Chaos God. Unfortunately for him though, his children weren’t super popular in Fantasy and so they got offscreened in the End Times while the Skaven styled on everyone else. 

15 hours ago, Tonhel said:

Count as Stormstrike palladors. I am not convinced by the riders, but love the mounts.

4e5521f7-release-bastion-of-purity-06.jpg

I love the one laying on the ground. You can hear the rider thinking. "Why did we base our mounts on cats? Why did we do that? Who thought that was a good idea?"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

I love the one laying on the ground. You can hear the rider thinking. "Why did we base our mounts on cats? Why did we do that? Who thought that was a good idea?"

🤣Yeah, the mount is thinking "Nah, not today"

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2024 at 9:23 PM, Kempak said:

It's meant to be an exclusive club... we don't want any old riff-raff getting in! 

Who the hell is Vashtorr, anyway? 

11 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

It's meant to be an exclusive club... we don't want any old riff-raff getting in! 

Who the hell is Vashtorr, anyway? 

Vashtorr just read your post, look at the poor demon's face, look what you've done!

image.png.e07d651a60b00312e06f12803094ddea.png

20 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

That's an odd choice for the Spearhead:

SundayPreview Sept01 SKA Spearhead

And I guess we don't have battleforces until the S2D BT, right?

How is it odd? Genuine question - is it because they went with elites and not a horde approach?

Very interesting to see Disciples of Tzeentch win Nova, in a meta that seems dominated by Nighthaunt otherwise.

• Destiny dice look strong for ensuring (as much as you can) that manifestations are cast reliably
  • Coupled with Kairos' ability to boost his own and the other Lord of Changes casting rolls by +1, who also benefits from a further +1 to cast from the Nine-Eyed Tome. That's in addition to Kairos' Master of Magic ability. 5 spells across the pair as well.
  • Locus of Change from the Lord of Change gives a bit of additional protection with the -1 to hit wholly within 12", presumably working alongside the big blob of Pink Horrors. Interesting is the use of Illusionist to gives -1 to hit against friendly units within combat range, presumably offsetting All-out Attack in melee once its cancelled out by the locus, and giving protection versus shooting which isn't covered by the Locus of Change.
  • The two units of reinforced Skyfires along with the shooting attacks from the Horrors are there to ensure stuff is Burning every turn to inflict a constant steam of mortal wounds in addition to the damage from the spells. This also gives -1 to wound on units that are burning, giving the army even greater protection in addition to the -1 to hit modifiers from the Lord of Change.
  • The two Skyfires units look like great utility pieces - not only setting stuff on fire, but with 26 4+/3+/-1/D3 attacks across the two units, whilst also ignoring negative modifiers to hit and wound, seem like a really reliable way of doing damage. They can also work in concert, because if the first unit does any damage, if the second targets the same unit they get +1 to hit.
  • From a battle tactics perspective, I guess this list has everything you want. Two fast units to nab the flanks, a big blob of wounds to hold objectives or the centre, and the potential to deal an overwhelming amount of mortal wounds fairly reliably to kill off units. The Pink Horrors feed the Blue horrors unit, and then the LoC can bring half the Horrors back at the cost of a destiny dice to ensure there's bodies on the table.

Hopefully I've understood everything correctly, but I like that it's got a clear strategy and has been really well optimised around it. I remember first looking at the faction pack and thinking it was a bit meh, but fair play, looks fun to play and a challenge to play against.

General’s Regiment
Kairos Fateweaver (440)
• General
Tzaangor Skyfires (340)
• Reinforced

Regiment 1
Lord of Change (360)
• 1 Rod of Sorcery
• Illusionist
• Nine-eyed Tome
Blue Horrors and Brimstone Horrors (240)
• Reinforced
Pink Horrors (280)
• Reinforced
Tzaangor Skyfires (340)
• Reinforced

Edited by Starfyre
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Starfyre said:

Very interesting to see Disciples of Tzeentch win Nova, in a meta that seems dominated by Nighthaunt otherwise.

• Destiny dice look strong for ensuring (as much as you can) that manifestations are cast reliably
  • Coupled with Kairos' ability to boost his own and the other Lord of Changes casting rolls by +1, who also benefits from a further +1 to cast from the Nine-Eyed Tome. That's in addition to Kairos' Master of Magic ability. 5 spells across the pair as well.
  • Locus of Change from the Lord of Change gives a bit of additional protection with the -1 to hit wholly within 12", presumably working alongside the big blob of Pink Horrors. Interesting is the use of Illusionist to gives -1 to hit against friendly units within combat range, presumably offsetting All-out Attack in melee once its cancelled out by the locus, and giving protection versus shooting which isn't covered by the Locus of Change.
  • The two units of reinforced Skyfires along with the shooting attacks from the Horrors are there to ensure stuff is Burning every turn to inflict a constant steam of mortal wounds in addition to the damage from the spells. This also gives -1 to wound on units that are burning, giving the army even greater protection in addition to the -1 to hit modifiers from the Lord of Change.
  • The two Skyfires units look like great utility pieces - not only setting stuff on fire, but with 26 4+/3+/-1/D3 attacks across the two units, whilst also ignoring negative modifiers to hit and wound, seem like a really reliable way of doing damage. They can also work in concert, because if the first unit does any damage, if the second targets the same unit they get +1 to hit.
  • From a battle tactics perspective, I guess this list has everything you want. Two fast units to nab the flanks, a big blob of wounds to hold objectives or the centre, and the potential to deal an overwhelming amount of mortal wounds fairly reliably to kill off units. The Pink Horrors feed the Blue horrors unit, and then the LoC can bring half the Horrors back at the cost of a destiny dice to ensure there's bodies on the table.

Hopefully I've understood everything correctly, but I like that it's got a clear strategy and has been really well optimised around it. I remember first looking at the faction pack and thinking it was a bit meh, but fair play, looks fun to play and a challenge to play against.

General’s Regiment
Kairos Fateweaver (440)
• General
Tzaangor Skyfires (340)
• Reinforced

Regiment 1
Lord of Change (360)
• 1 Rod of Sorcery
• Illusionist
• Nine-eyed Tome
Blue Horrors and Brimstone Horrors (240)
• Reinforced
Pink Horrors (280)
• Reinforced
Tzaangor Skyfires (340)
• Reinforced

I saw his interview, it's clever to give his generals regiment honour guard - priority target and than only add besides the general one mobile shooting unit in it. I don't think that the designers had this in mind. It forces the meta to have only a small generals regiment in your army with only one unit besides the general in it.

Edited by Tonhel

10 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I saw his interview, it's clever to give his generals regiment honour guard - priority target and than only add besides the general one mobile shooting unit in it. I don't think that the designers had this in mind. It forces the meta to have only a small generals regiment in your army with only one unit besides the general in it.

Imho, it was already planned from the begining. They even wrote a BT in the new generals about killing units from the enemies detachment.

I suppose it was planned as another decision to make: use more detachment to try to solve this, or go for the minimum to chose who starts.

• Like 2