General Chat Thread

2 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Personally, I love playing in tournaments and I already feel tired reading this announcement.

I would expect the monthly FAQs to only contain small point changes, bug fixes and clarifications. With how minor most point changes were in the document we just got, I think they are intended to dial point in using even smaller steps.

We will see how demanding this becomes to keep up with.

On the last update, while I don't love the whole "manifestations get easier to banish the more there are" thing from a design stanpoint (feels very ad hoc), I think it is a bigger disincentive against spamming them than most people give it credit for. Typically, the risk of summoning manifestations is with the active player: They need to make their casting roll and potentially get through an unbind. Then the opponent has a chance to banish. If the opponent succeeds that roll, it's an even trade: Both players lost one cast.

With banishment becoming easier, that means that the nonactive player will frequently get to remove the most threatening manifestation on the board nearly guaranteed. Even if they just bring a normal 1 cast wizard. Should definitely make you consider whether or not you really need those Soulsnare Shackles on the board if it means having your Purple Sun almost certainly banished. And now also not immediately resummoned right after.

5 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I would expect the monthly FAQs to only contain small point changes, bug fixes and clarifications. With how minor most point changes were in the document we just got, I think they are intended to dial point in using even smaller steps.

100% this. This update has a lot of clarifications, a lot of tweaks to existing abilitites (timing, effects and a few adds to existing abilities) that previously were not working as RAI, some keywords that were supposed to be (or not to be) there and 2 new abilities:

• Maggotkin Burst Pustules.
  • Sylvaneth Creeping Hollow.

This monthly updates seems more about polishment and a bit of balance that changing rules. I think that's fine for what could be done (aka, season rules).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beliman said:

Question:

image.png.cc2e3420a2a37e94f7e4e32781aed2b2.png

So, the player uses this ability in his/her Movement Phase. So, you cannot Redeploy and then Charge, but you can do it again and again for each unit in your in you army in your Movement Phase. What am I missing here? Because it seems that RAI is just for one unit:

image.png.d5ac16bd8c3c551774e5895fefa29969.png

This is an ability that the player uses, so it's once per turn. If it said "pick a friendly nighthaunt unit to use this ability" then it would be once per unit per turn. It's one of the slightly janky parts of the rules.

Edited by Dogmantra

8 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

This is an ability that the player uses, so it's once per turn.

Unless the header of the ability says "Once per turn (Army)" then no. The rule of 1 does not apply to abilities used by the player (Rule 5.3).

EDIT: checked the update faction pack, and no it only says "Your movement phase". So, I agree with @Beliman: RAW the player can use the ability as many time as they want to give multiple units run+charge. Luckily, for once we have a clear "intention" being stated in the article, so we know what they were trying to do. Hopefully they can correct it quickly and update the faction pack.

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got my skaven book. Pleasant surprises and a couple fears confirmed.

Pleasantly surprised, and I mean very pleasantly: Path to Glory is delightfully streamlined. No weird bookkeeping, no tracking stuff that doesn't matter in play. Skaven specific anvil of apotheosis design to make Your Dude, which I love and see as a great iteration on the system. Bespoke charts for level-ups. And the ability to buy undescribed mounts, like sticking Your Dude on a Moulder monstrosity; that eases the pain of the Brood Horror's loss greatly, though I'm still inclined to stat one up for 4e.

Fears confirmed: Look, I know that everyone took the same spells and it was illusory choice, but the pared down spells and items sting. Ditching the ability to juice your Skryre stuff til they blow up as a baseline thing on Warscrolls makes me sad, as does the no more hiding units (again, the ruthless efficiency of tournament play shoves off the weird and wonderful edges of GW's games for the lesser imo).

But, all told, I really like it on the basis of the PtG rules alone. Desperately needed rework from 3e's monstrosity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2024 at 12:36 PM, Tonhel said:

If I remember correctly in the older days it took months or even years to get a FAQ/Errata. This was to long, but changing point values and etc each month is to much. You really have to be a die hard tournament player, who does every weekend a tournament to really see the benefit of monthly balance updates.

Anyway I don't really believe in such frequently balance updates as it mostly opening another can of worms.

I don't think they mean points changes when they say FAQs. We are used to FAQ and Erratas happening at the same time, but a FAQ generally just mean answering questions on how things are supposed to work. We will have to wait to see next month how it goes, but if it is just making rules more clear I don't think we can count it as a balance update.

• Like 1

I'm hoping the next update comes with a top to bottom rewrite on how terrain and endless spells interact with the game. Doesn't necessarily need to change much really, but they've had so many erratas and FAQs already that it really feels like the sloppiest part of a normally tight ruleset. 

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

I'm hoping the next update comes with a top to bottom rewrite on how terrain and endless spells interact with the game. Doesn't necessarily need to change much really, but they've had so many erratas and FAQs already that it really feels like the sloppiest part of a normally tight ruleset. 

The terrain shouldn’t be chargeable or at least it shouldn’t be such a liability. Alternatively they need to make the terrain actually worth the risk like the Loon Shrine is, because the OBR terrain is actively a hindrance for what’s realistically not super useful of an effect. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brocktoon said:

Got my skaven book. Pleasant surprises and a couple fears confirmed.

What about the lore part of the book? GW said that they changes how they write the background, stories and how people in the realms see that faction.

For me, that's the most interesting thing to know (I can't play PtG).

Really really dumb question, but where is the First Blood battlepack? 

Read about it on the new events at Warhammer World. I have the GHB which includes the Core rules, but don't have the 4th Ed core book. Is it in the core book and not the GHB? Or does it use any of the missions from the GHB?