Faction Kit Support

What constitutes "faction support" in your opinion? Whilst trying to get a handle on how many physical kits are available for each faction, I found that GW lists multi-build kits as different listings on their Warhammer online store, which gives a skewed view of how many miniature kits are produced and supported for each faction.

Support also comes in other forms, such as column inches on Warcom via articles, rules publications and lore/novels. Representation in other game systems within the AoS setting is also pertinent in forming an overall picture of how much "support" a faction receives from the AoS Design studio. 

Rather than having a wall of text listing various kits, I decided to put together a simple template for the factions. The BattleTome/Index is shown in the large rectangle on the left. There are 20 slots for Hero/Character kits, 20 slots for Unit kits and a slot each for Faction Terrian, Endless Spells, Warcry Warband, Underworlds Warband and Spearhead product lines. 

The red border indicates a kit can be built as either a Hero/Character or as a Unit and appears in both the Hero/Character list and Unit list (but I still count it as a single kit in my tally). A blue border shows that the kits can be built to represent more than one unit option (I haven't framed kits that can be built with different weapon options, this is more to show kits that represent pretty different units) 

Warcry was also interesting. Obviously, Slaves to Darkness have access to multiple Warcry Warbands, but fundamentally I went for the decision to just list one as it shows the faction is represented in the setting and whilst the kits are STD adjacent, I wouldn't say they are a cemented part of the range. (I do think some Warcry kits may become standard kits in certain factions like Rotmire Creed for Maggotkin or Hexbane for CoS

This list is a WIP so any suggestions are appreciated and will separate the Grand alliances into their own posts so that it is easier to go in and edit it. 

GRAND ALLIANCE ORDER

TEMPLATE.jpg

Stormcast Eternals.jpg

Cities of Sigmar.jpg

Fyreslayers.jpg

Kharadon Overlords.jpg

Lumineth Realm Lords.jpg

Daughers of Khaine.jpg

Sylvaneth.jpg

Indoneth Deepkin.jpg

Seraphon.jpg

• Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Really like the templates! Do you think It would be possible to put some number in it? For thinks like how many kit boxes each faction has, number of heroes and units options with different warscrolls? I think those two number would give a good idea of how some factions may have more options than the number of pictures suggest.

What does the red symbol for some underworlds warband means? That they aren't disponible to buy for GW anymore?

Also a small corrections: the nighthaunt underwolrds warband picture is wrong. That is the spirit torment (hero) + chainghast (unit). The last nighthaunt warbard for underworlds is the The Headsmen's Curse) and FeC could use a bunch of red borders on the ghouls, flayers and horrors since all of the have a option to make a hero version.

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Like 1

For Tzeentch the Jade Obelisk are Tzeentchians and the Cypher Lords were stated to be as well. Not sure if either of them will be part of the new BT though. I guess zero chance for CL and a bad chance for the JL tho! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bayul said:

The Hedonites of Slaanesh template says Slaves of Darkness.

I am pretty sure that every DEATH faction can take Nagash.

Changed the title. 

I decided to include the Nagash kit as part of the Nighthaunt range as it is a singular kit produced by GW. The same with Kragnos and Destruction (Only listed with Kruelboyz) I want to keep the focus on the number of kits produced and supported by GW as I think it gives the clearest idea of real-world kit support. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Blimey. I didn't realise that Fyreslayers actually have only two unit kits. No wonder those that play them are always begging for a new wave! 

Yeah, its one of those "wait, it can't be that bad. It is that bad." situations when you realize it.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Yeah, its one of those "wait, it can't be that bad. It is that bad." situations when you realize it.

I am more of a visual learner and seeing the factions laid out in this way highlighted some things about the ranges I hadn't really considered before. A few people have suggested it and I wasn't so sure, but I could see Slaves to Darkness and Darkoath being split in 5th edition. I'm sure there was a rumour regarding a potential plastic war mammoth a while ago. 

If Darkoath officially incorporated some of the Warcry kits in their range and received a few more characters and a centrepiece. The kit range would be significant enough to support a separation. 

I also think it's interesting, that outside of Endless Spells and Warcry representation, Indoneth Deepkin ars as supported as Sylvaneth in terms of kits. (You could even argue slightly better as the Sylvaneth have a few older/Fantasy era kits) I feel that is counter to what most people think... that Sylvaneth are more supported than Indoneth. (It also means that if there is any credit to the recent 2nd IDK wave, it would put the range into the top tier of factions in terms of kit support

Edited by Hollow

Looks like the Skaven panel has "Slaves to Darkness" as a faction name.

This is really useful! I like that we can see at a glance where things stand with kit support. Death and Chaos look (fairly) well supported, with a couple things that could be added here or there. Order and Destruction definitely have factions that could use a little more love.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Boss Casman said:

Looks like the Skaven panel has "Slaves to Darkness" as a faction name.

This is really useful! I like that we can see at a glance where things stand with kit support. Death and Chaos look (fairly) well supported, with a couple things that could be added here or there. Order and Destruction definitely have factions that could use a little more love.

Death is remarkably complete give that Soulblight, Nighthaunt and Flesh Eaters are all spin-offs of one faction: WHFB Vampire Counts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Death is remarkably complete give that Soulblight, Nighthaunt and Flesh Eaters are all spin-offs of one faction: WHFB Vampire Counts.

Indeed. So much so, that when I was putting together the Death section, I began to ask myself what the likelihood of 5th edition having a Death faction as the antagonist, is. Nighthaunt have already been featured in a launch box. The other 3 factions all have pretty robust, current ranges. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hollow said:

Indeed. So much so, that when I was putting together the Death section, I began to ask myself what the likelihood of 5th edition having a Death faction as the antagonist, is. Nighthaunt have already been featured in a launch box. The other 3 factions all have pretty robust, current ranges. 

I could see FEC being the 5th ed opponent just to refresh the last few old WFB kits and throw some more weird characters out there. But I do think it's more likely to be something new

1 hour ago, Hollow said:

I personally think people are putting too much stock into the Chaos-Death-Destructio rotation. There is no reason 5th ed can't have an antagonist from any of the 4 grand alliances.

• Like 1