The Painting Contract - July 2024

Posted (edited)

Salutations, fellow hobbyists! Welcome to the Painting Contract for July 2024. 

The rules, as always, are: 

• Each month you post an amount of models that you agree to try to paint/build/convert/sculpt. This can be terrain or models for Age of Sigmar, Warcry, Blood Bowl, Underworlds, The Old World, or any other Warhammer game. 
  • At the end of the month the Contract closes and you can then post your progress images to be critiqued, shared, and boasted about. It's a great way to get involved in the community and to get inspiration. 

Can't wait to see everyone's progress! 

Edited by Big Kim Woof-Woof

Didn't quite manage to get these rattos finished in time for June, but managed to get the last few steps comete this week. Did some more colour scheme testing here before Skaventide, which has helped dial in some of my choices a bit closer (including some stuff I did with these that I won't be doing on the Skaventide models).

Big question for me remains how far to push the highlights compared to these ones.

My apologies for the poor photography!

20240705_192535.jpg

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

Got the vast majority of my terrain painted and ready.

9kBExaj.jpg

Very cool table! What are those arch sections and towers?

2 hours ago, Painbringer said:

I got my hands on one old piece of terrain - Skullvane Manse (or Warscryer  citadel, as it was called later). I managed to get a lot of work done today:

1720371812216082.jpeg

1720371831175550.jpeg

172038417195813.jpeg

That's a very nice pickup! I was considering trying to hunt for one of those myself some time ago.

So much cool terrain in this thread all of a sudden. I feel like I have to finally finish that half-painted Dawnbringer domicile shell I have had on my desk for months.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

Working on a Wraithblade!

[...]

Got 5 more sentinels to tabletop!

[...]

17 in total. 3 remaining sentinels to be painted.

[...]

Got the vast majority of my terrain painted and ready.

This is an ungodly pace.

My plan is to finish the Wraithlord (and with it, the whole Eldar Combat Patrol) and then start the Carnosaur (that will complete the Seraphon Spearhead).

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Very cool table! What are those arch sections and towers?

Thank you!

The towers and ruins are a prepainted set offered by a seller on etsy!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1714342991/painted-set-for-warhammer-iron-castle?click_key=02a88fdf4fa933463b2ab6bebcd95f8b78cb3e42%3A1714342991&click_sum=bae8fe84&ref=shop_home_recs_1

2 hours ago, Flippy said:

This is an ungodly pace.

My plan is to finish the Wraithlord (and with it, the whole Eldar Combat Patrol) and then start the Carnosaur (that will complete the Seraphon Spearhead).

I'll take that as a compliment :D ! Just aiming to get a fully painted army on the tabletop as fast as possible and move on to project #2.

Looking forward to the aeldari combat patrol painted! Your farseer looks wicked!

Edited by ThalmorRepresentative
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

It's a lovely bit of kit, and no mistake! Looking great. 

Thanks! What's even better - I got it for free! A friend of mine decided he does not want it anymore and gave it to me (along with some other terrain pieces). I started painting almost immediately :D

I painted some parts of a Spearhead since the beginning of this month, and I took the opportunity to make a Warcry band out of it.

Here is Sir Gutheart and his brave followers, patrolling the lands of his good lord against the monstruous invaders (at least, in their minds).

Warcry2.JPG

• Like 5

Haven’t had any time to paint anything as of yet, I’m eagerly awaiting my Skaventide box so will aim to get the Stormcast side built when it arrives.

I still need to paint the giant banner-wielding guy for the other Spearhead but haven’t mustered the enthusiasm for it just yet 😅

So, it has been a very very long time. But I have managed to reignite the painting spark. This month I want to paint the final 21 US marines from my boxes of memoir 44 (pic of 16 others - simple scheme for this size mini) and get started on a necromantic horror team for Bloodbowl - The Coffin Dodgers

IMG_2389.jpeg

IMG_2371.jpeg

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 4

All Skaventide clan-rattos now have a base layer down for their fabric. Right now it's a super strong mint colour, which will be knocked back a bit with some washes and highlighting, but currently it does mean that the clanrats look like they've spilled out of a toothpaste tube and are here to aggressively clean your gums.

20240718_123749.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Acrozatarim said:

All Skaventide clan-rattos now have a base layer down for their fabric. Right now it's a super strong mint colour, which will be knocked back a bit with some washes and highlighting, but currently it does mean that the clanrats look like they've spilled out of a toothpaste tube and are here to aggressively clean your gums.

20240718_123749.jpg

I often have to remind myself that all models go through a stage where they look pretty bad, and that often that stage last until you are working on the last 10% and putting in all the final highlighs, contrast and details. Definitely trust the process with those guys. They will look very different after washes and highlighting.