The Painting Contract - July 2024

Finished my converted Steam Tank Commander. The Fusil-Major's gun and hands fit the commander's body surprisingly well (and the Long-Fusil has the same stats as the Commander's Rifle :D). Also discovered that the cannon has exactly the same inner diameter as the Ironweld Great Cannon.

Also tied it into the (presumably) new Ironweld aesthetic with the comet helmet topper from the Great Cannon.

image.png.565ef386d4b92c43cc9f293bcd454674.png

image.png.9a1a933bdeb537bb4f84ae41d6cfa412.png

image.png.29d71ab8c845f9b7a44f3554977b8b72.png

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

Lord-Veritant

20240720_101117.jpg.80bc519fc9e043a29e60a0aebdfd2154.jpg

20240720_101137.jpg.a1804011b725a5d51d8b971338731fb3.jpg

Went for a head swap because I was not feeling the snarl on the normal head, but ended up having the hardest time with her face.

I was shooting for a kind of severe looking female figure. Kind of botched the glowy eyes, I feel.

EDIT: Quickly painted her birb dog friend, too.

20240720_123340.jpg.024063b0cdcf07e8986d42bc2148d798.jpg

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

14 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Real talk, you guys need to start wet blending. It let me get the whole birb done in under an hour.

Yah, you can't beat wet blending if your patience is thin! I use it for large, smooth-ish areas like cloaks and banners. 

2 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Yah, you can't beat wet blending if your patience is thin! I use it for large, smooth-ish areas like cloaks and banners. 

I only really started wet blending seriously last month or so, but have been doing it on just about every miniature I paint since. For me, it really hits a niche, which is that it makes painting stuff I otherwise found tedious enjoyable and quick. Basically everything where you would traditionally use layering techniques. Especially soft, flowing shapes like capes.

I think it's a super valuable skill, but I have to disagree with a statement I saw about it before. I heard someone (Sam Lenz?) claim that wet blending should not be treated as an advanced technique, people just find it difficult because they are not practicing it. I think that is wrong though, because wet blending requires you to work fast, to have accurate brush control and to really understand how to thin your paints to the right consistency for the job. That's all stuff you need to build up just painting for a while.

• Like 1

So a good month in the end. I finished my allied memoir 44 army (96 1/72 scale troops, 48 1/100 scale tanks and 12 1:100 scale artillery). I’ll need to start the axis side in the coming months. I built a lot of the skaven from skaven tide and then primed and started the necromantic horror Bloodbowl team. Pics will follow in August for complete gw minis :)

Edited by Praecautus

I’ve not finished the Carnosaur - but made some good progress nonetheless. I have, however, finished the new terrain from Skaventide in a very short time- it was also my first attempt to use airbrush; good stuff!

IMG_1908.jpeg

IMG_1909.jpeg

IMG_1910.jpeg

IMG_1912.jpeg

IMG_1914.jpeg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2