Krootoath (Darkoath army but different)

Finally got the time to post this.

The start of a new army and a project I have been wanting to do for ages. But never got around to intergrating them.
The Idea was to put Kroot (40K) into AOS, but i never found the right faction to play them as. 
Because of their primative look they fit in pretty well, I tried making them into a city of Sigmar army which after 10 models made with Stormcast crossbows, just didn't feel right.

Their lore being carnivor's and eating the dna to evolve themselfs into a better species felt to me like more a Distruction or maby even a Chaos faction (Tzeentch or Slaanesh).
But then came my salvation; Darkoath came to be, primative humans trying to survive the Age of Sigmar. This would be perfect for my Kroot.

I started with a test model, which is the newer kroot model with bits from a Darkoath Marauder(Mini of the Month). See the picture.
Love the feel of it, being in the jungle, which will fit with my Tzeentch army of Tzaangors. (I'm planning to make 10 Kroot as Kairoc Acolytes)

Hope you guys will follow me on my Journey to make this army and see how far we can come.

58293229-2a4e-4d1b-ad68-9270c13a26f4.jpg

Edited by Sparxius
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 5

I'm already working on my DarkKroot Chieftain on Warsteed.

I found this amazing 3d print on etsy and just knew this would be a perfect replacement if i added a GW Kroot and a lot of Darkoath bits.

bl_1690993988_image_jpeg_01

Print is from WargamesExclusive.

I'll post a picture later with my conversion.

For Evolution!!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 hours ago, Sparxius said:

If anybody has a good idea for what i could use the Krootox riders?

Any idea is welcome.

I've been looking around and not really finding anything i like as having the Krootox as riding beast.
I could make them Gorebeast Chariots, but at the moment i wouldn't know what i would use as Chariots in the jungle.
Making them as Darkoath Fellriders would be to bulky even though i love them as Jungle Gorilla's basicly.
But going on the Thought of Jungle Gorilla's i looked into the Ogroid Theridons, same base size, with the new AOS rules, weopons don't play a part anymore.
So they could just be raw power pummeling everybody that comes their way.

It would be interesting to make them like that, i would just have to source shoulder pads and more chaos armour from the actial Ogroid box.

Let me know what you people think of this idea?

• Like 1

• Sparxius changed the title to Krootoath (Darkoath army but different)
3 hours ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

These are so cool! Such a unique idea too! 😍

Thank you, yesterday I was looking through the different Darkoath models and saw the Darkoath Warqueen and her pose. 
Luckily it's the same pose as the War shaper, so i started converting and half building this model aswell.

I will be using the Flesh Shaper as the Darkoath Chieftain on foot, just need to get some of the parts of the original model (shoulderpads and maby the sword)

So more pictures to come!!

The Chieftain on Warsteed is going to take some time, a lot of cutting and adjusting bits to make them fit, but hopefully the end product wil look amazing and a good replica of the original model.

Praise the Evolution

I want to do the same but "Krootboyz" instead. I was even considering using darkoath shield and weapons so it's really cool to see it works. 

I'd definitely use rampagers as ogroid  or riders. 

Looks great! 🖤🐔

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

I want to do the same but "Krootboyz" instead. I was even considering using darkoath shield and weapons so it's really cool to see it works. 

I'd definitely use rampagers as ogroid  or riders. 

Looks great! 🖤🐔

That be cool to see, i already have a big Ironjawz and Squig army so i didn't want to do an distruction army again, (would have been maneaters).
Just a tip, the shields and weapons of the Darkoath do look a bit small on the Kroot, Kroot stand 1/1,5 head taller then the Darkoath models.

Would maby be a good idea to see if you could source some leftover shields of the KrullBoyz to compare, and that then gives a good visual indication aswell to what the Kroot should visualise as a unit.
But thats just my thoughts on it.

Would love to see what you do with them.

I've been looking at the rampagers as ogroid's, not going to give them weapons, except maby fist spikes/claws. But i have been toying with the idea of using smallers shields as kind of bucklers or a punchingshields(shield with a spike at the front).
Especially for the leader or the Myrmidon Champion. I would be using one of the more animated Rampagers for this and then adding the Krootox (with the cannon) for the 3 Ogroids.

A lot of testing out, what would be an interesting combination.

Posted (edited)

Some progress on my Darkoath Warqueen, shoulderpad reused from a stormcast with a horn from one of the skulls in the GW skullbox.
Also used the skull part of the skull to make the knee ornament, its bigger then the one on the orignal Warqueen, but because Kroot are bigger this luckily fits the model.

For the Shield ill be using one of the round stormcast shields which ill be needing to greenstuff a bit to give it more of the rough texture.
And i also haven't found a Axe in my bitsbox where i'm happy with to use as the axe for this conversion.

Praise the Evolution

59d8ce20-2565-44ca-b768-d3aba5da6f48.jpg

0ad5a52a-4a74-4124-94b6-ea16077e645c.jpg

974a9175-2e0e-4c30-95bf-613aa73f287d.jpg

9dfb62f8-69a1-4293-81dc-7ffa6029f142.jpg

Edited by Sparxius
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Small update after the weekend:

The Warqueen has her axe, also started work on her shield and beltbuckel.
Don't know if i should greenstuff more on the shield or cut into the plastic to make it look more like the others.

Made a start on the base for the Chieftain on warsteed.
Wanted to have it higher, so i could use one of the kroothounds on the bottom, and have it peer out from under a plant.

I made one of the Ravangers to see how they would work as a Ogroid, gave it a shield, looks a bit funcky but i like it.
I'll try posting a picture when i take one.
The fist weapons do work, i had some Khorne weapons left over from one of the kits and they are chuncky enough to work with the boyz.

Does anybody know, how i can make the pictures smaller or, hide one or 2, because it's just going to be a lot of pictures and don't want to have people scroll alot.

c396cc6e-faec-4252-ab51-f3572e241393.jpg

33efb346-474a-4e0f-b648-64fc486229f2.jpg

d744e584-1aad-431f-9c96-0a0f06349ccb.jpg

Edited by Sparxius
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 4 weeks later...

As a fellow Kroot enthusiast I have to say this is a wonderful project. I have also toyed with taking Kroot into Fantasy at various points. Back in early AoS I considered Woodelfs, and I know someone else was doing Empire, but a good fit has always been elusive.

Destruction always seemed the best thematic fit, but none of the distraction armies really fit rules wise. I had not considered Darkoath, but then again I am more Old World then AoS these days, and it does seem like a good fit from what I understand of the StD index pdf thing.

For the Krootox, especially the Rampages, I do think using them as Ogroid Theridons is a good call, maybe even have the rampagers without any riders.

• Like 1

The Army is shaping up very nicely. Some time ago I came up with the Idea of “Warhammer Primal”. Something I’m still looking to eventually do and flesh out

There’s an era of about 15,000 years (and even then, this could be far longer) From when the Old Ones Arrive in the Old Warhammer World and the collapse of the Gates.

In that Time it is described that the Old Ones sent out their Armies to either annihilate or subdue the races that originally inhabited the Warhammer World. It was said the Men, Elves and Dwarfs all were made from the exsisting creatures and races of the World. We know That there were Fimir, Dragon Ogres and Zoats. I can Absolutely see Kroot fitting into that timeline, and I could see Kroot as being one of the first Races to have existed in the World of Warhammer and rebelled against the Lizardmen up to the point of their near extinction save a few survivors in Ind, Cathay etc. 

The Dragon Ogres and Fimir survived into AoS, so why not the Kroot? 

In my Lore Write Up I wrote in Krongr as one of the nascent species in the world (various types of cavemen and ape people).

What I toyed with was thebconcept that the subjugation and rebellion of the Krongr (in this case Kroot?) led them into open rebellion and seeking sources of power to Defeat the Old Ones - The Chaos Gods. There by, the Old Ones, through their Tyranny, created the Chaos Gods, whether it was by plan or not is open to interpretation. Again, I could easily see the Kroot Worshipping the Chaos Gods, at least in their primal forms to further try to resist the lizard men, or in Age of Sigmar, the Seraphon, Same Same. 

(Sorry to hijack, only trying to bounce ideas)

• LOVE IT! 1

On 9/10/2024 at 11:44 PM, Trokair said:

As a fellow Kroot enthusiast I have to say this is a wonderful project. I have also toyed with taking Kroot into Fantasy at various points. Back in early AoS I considered Woodelfs, and I know someone else was doing Empire, but a good fit has always been elusive.

Destruction always seemed the best thematic fit, but none of the distraction armies really fit rules wise. I had not considered Darkoath, but then again I am more Old World then AoS these days, and it does seem like a good fit from what I understand of the StD index pdf thing.

For the Krootox, especially the Rampages, I do think using them as Ogroid Theridons is a good call, maybe even have the rampagers without any riders.

Yeah, ive been in love with the Kroot idea for a long time.
I did start on the Rampagers as Ogroid Theridons, just need to find the right balance between the look and feel of the original Ogroids and the Rampagers.
I'm not putting any riders on them because that just looks silly and doesn't fit the Ogroid aestatic. 

I'll post a picture of one this afternoon, maby i can at it to this post.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 7:02 PM, Kronos said:

The Army is shaping up very nicely. Some time ago I came up with the Idea of “Warhammer Primal”. Something I’m still looking to eventually do and flesh out

There’s an era of about 15,000 years (and even then, this could be far longer) From when the Old Ones Arrive in the Old Warhammer World and the collapse of the Gates.

In that Time it is described that the Old Ones sent out their Armies to either annihilate or subdue the races that originally inhabited the Warhammer World. It was said the Men, Elves and Dwarfs all were made from the exsisting creatures and races of the World. We know That there were Fimir, Dragon Ogres and Zoats. I can Absolutely see Kroot fitting into that timeline, and I could see Kroot as being one of the first Races to have existed in the World of Warhammer and rebelled against the Lizardmen up to the point of their near extinction save a few survivors in Ind, Cathay etc. 

The Dragon Ogres and Fimir survived into AoS, so why not the Kroot? 

In my Lore Write Up I wrote in Krongr as one of the nascent species in the world (various types of cavemen and ape people).

What I toyed with was thebconcept that the subjugation and rebellion of the Krongr (in this case Kroot?) led them into open rebellion and seeking sources of power to Defeat the Old Ones - The Chaos Gods. There by, the Old Ones, through their Tyranny, created the Chaos Gods, whether it was by plan or not is open to interpretation. Again, I could easily see the Kroot Worshipping the Chaos Gods, at least in their primal forms to further try to resist the lizard men, or in Age of Sigmar, the Seraphon, Same Same. 

(Sorry to hijack, only trying to bounce ideas)

I love lore ideas, so this is amazing.

Love the idea of the Old Ones wanting to annihilate the other races for their own Greater Good.
I like the idea that thats why the Kroot looked for other gods and came across the Chaos gods.

I hadden't really thought much about the lore further then what i wanted and this could be different then the 40K Kroot, but i love the idea that they want to better themselves by genecode, thats why i thought maby some follow the god Thzeench and some maby Slaanesh, depending on the culture and if they are following change or perfection. 

Maby while finishing this project i can finish their lore aswell. 

• Like 1

So didn't have time to take a picture but did find my first try at a Kroot army in AoS.

So i made these 10 Crossbowman for a city of sigmar army.

Now need to find these guys and reconvert them for my Krootoath. But will first be doing the models I still need to build, saves me some time.

858334f3-af1d-4b78-a4df-3ca1a9cfa64c.jpg

97dc0a3c-02af-4b10-a9e9-6d9b3f2b6eb2.jpg

2a7b9a5f-4136-4d08-a840-9943a9cfef91.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Darkoath are getting a spearhead force!!

A Darkoath Warqueen
10 Darkoath Marauders
10 Darkoath Savagers
5 Darkoath Fellriders

Really nice, luckily I can make my own savagers because everything is being converted anyway.

Only thing i don't have a good idea how to do the Fellriders, I've seen some amazing conversions using the raptors and bird-raptors from Seraphon.
So will most likely use the bird-raptors because they come as a unit of 5.

But please let me know what you guys think. 

Slaves to Darkness: Darkoath Raiders Photo

While the lizard mounts could certainly work, and people have been making Krootified mounts from them since way back (the cold one with a krootox head in the Kroot Mercenary Chapter Approved comes to mind) I would say why not use horses, perhaps with light conversion work to Krootify them.

The new Fellriders themselves or maybe the old marauder horseman (now in the Old World section) as a base would be on theme.    

Or if you are looking for more unusual mounts Ork Boar boys or LotR Wargs (wild wargs in particular are cheap if bought without the ork rider as they have their own kit, it is however a very old kit, though fell wargs would also work I think). That said they may be a bit small, but i think it could work.

Size comparison wild warg on 40mm base verses Blackstone Fortress Kroot (first Kroot I had to hand).

image.jpeg.0d268050a85dd4bac2fe88d085bad0f8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thank you, for the idea's, totally set me on another path.
Been looking at different ranges and not just raptors etc, the Gryphchargers from the SCE are amazing dynamic aswell, need to remove the feathers for spikes and change their face a bit, so that could work aswell.
But they are a bit bigger then horses, so thought these might suit Varanguard or Chaos Knights more, but thats not the kind of army I am converting.
So i like this idea, but might go for the raptor idea more. 
I've looked into 3d printing but haven't found any mounts i like for this idea.

Ill keep looking and will find something at some point.

On 10/11/2024 at 3:03 AM, Trokair said:

While the lizard mounts could certainly work, and people have been making Krootified mounts from them since way back (the cold one with a krootox head in the Kroot Mercenary Chapter Approved comes to mind) I would say why not use horses, perhaps with light conversion work to Krootify them.

The new Fellriders themselves or maybe the old marauder horseman (now in the Old World section) as a base would be on theme.    

Or if you are looking for more unusual mounts Ork Boar boys or LotR Wargs (wild wargs in particular are cheap if bought without the ork rider as they have their own kit, it is however a very old kit, though fell wargs would also work I think). That said they may be a bit small, but i think it could work.

Size comparison wild warg on 40mm base verses Blackstone Fortress Kroot (first Kroot I had to hand).

image.jpeg.0d268050a85dd4bac2fe88d085bad0f8.jpeg

Gryphcharges are indeed quit a bit larger/bulkier. I think the new ones migth be a bit more lith than the older ones, but i havent obviously held the new ones to compare yet.

I know they are currently not avilable, but expect they will be back for TOW Empire release, but what about Demigryph knight kit?

Intrested to see what you eventually find and how it works out. 

• Thanks 1